Monday, October 25, 2010

Universal Soldiers
                I think the poet in Universal Soldier, is trying to tell us that, you can't stop war by having more violence and creating a bigger war. Stopping war seems impossible, but this poet "Buffy Sainte-Marie," understands that, and vents all her feeling in to this beautiful poem.
            In the 1st stanza I think the poet is trying to say that no matter what height, age, belief, you are or what weapons you use, all the soldiers that have been coming for thousands of years are all the same. They know it's probably not the right thing to do but the disregard it, and do it anyway. To some people, doing the right thing always comes second, but in some cases, soldiers have no choice but to be in war.
            In the 2nd stanza, I think, the poet is trying to say that no matter why or who you're fighting for, it doesn't make a difference, and it won't stop anything. It is just like saying, if you throw a bucket of water into a puddle, it just makes a bigger puddle. If you add more violence into a war, you just get a bigger war.
            In the 3rd stanza, I think the poet is trying to say, that the people say they know what they're doing, when it's the wrong thing and they continue doing it. Even if the message is crystal clear, they still don't seem to get it. Also I think the poet is trying to say, that no one is the judge of your life, you control your own life.
In the 4th stanza, I think the poet is trying to say that these people who are trying to help us and put an end to war, are making it worse. These are the same people who helped & encouraged Caesar and Hitler.
            In the 5th stanza, I think the poet is trying to say that although these people,  instead of creating peace are creating war, so they're the ones to blame.
In the 6th stanza, I think, the poet is trying these people no longer do thing to please others, they do it to please themselves, and also that violence is never the answer to war.
            This poem was a very true, heart-felt, beautiful poem. I agree with pretty much everything she wrote. I especially liked the part when she wrote "he's the one who gives his body as a weapon to a war." I liked it because it was so true; he sacrificed his body and used it as a weapon. In the poem she wrote about why people fight, how these people look, why there's war, what happens at war and why it should be stopped. I also liked the part where she related to Hitler and Caesar, being helped by these soldiers.
            Waiting for war to stop, is like waiting for rain in this drought… it never comes along.

                                                                                                                    By Danielle00283993.gif

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's the second time I've read your blog... IN FIVE MINUTES! I hope poets make a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Danielle! I like how you made a paragraph for every single stanza evenly breaking up the ideas. I especially like the last line of your blog because it really was cool.

    ReplyDelete