Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Wednesday Wars Blog

The Wednesday Wars: My Opinion
My opinion on The Wednesday Wars so far is that it is a great book.  We have only read three chapters but I already feel that I know the characters so well.  The ideas that have begun at the beginning of the story are carried throughout the chapters allowing you to understand the ideas and the relation between the characters more.   Mrs. Baker, Holling, Mr. Hoodhood, and Meryl Lee are all characters who are greatly involved in the story and they each have their own little unique traits that make this book so intriguing.   The author, Gary D. Schmidt, uses a lot of hyperboles, metaphors, and similes so that while reading the book it makes you think, but not think so much that you get annoyed.  He also uses descriptive words which allows the reader to understand what emotions the character feels or what the character thinks about something.  The narrator of the story is Holling, who is a seventh grader.  Now, Schmidt is a grown man but he captures every little detail and attitude of a twelve year old.  He makes this story easy to relate and even Holling's older sister has every characteristic of what an older sister should have.  Schmidt is an excellent author who takes every word or emotion and makes it into something bigger and better.  I am thoroughly enjoying this book and I wonder what else will happen throughout Holling's school year.      

-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Ashley, I agree with everything you said, I especially agree with when you said that he uses a lot metaphors, hyperboles, similes etc. The book must be filled with all those. Great job!!
    -dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I think Gary D. Schmidt is really good at making metaphors and other language devices too. I would say that he is also a very humorous story writer too.

    ReplyDelete